There are many reasons why you might want to ship your vehicle across the United States.
For example, you could be moving because of your job, or to be nearer to your family.
Or perhaps you’ve bought a new car online and need to get it home.
Whatever the reason, open car carriers are one of the most affordable, convenient, easy to arrange, and cheapest way possible to ship a car.
If you ever need to transport your car from Miami to Washington, Houston to Sacramento, Denver to Minneapolis, or anywhere in between, contact Car Ship Guru, and our quick customer service will tailor a vehicle transport service to meet your needs. Every single time.
What is Open Car Transport and how does it work?
Open Car Transport is one of the most popular car carrier services in the United States. It’s a way of transporting a vehicle from one location to another using an open car transport trailer.
An open car shipping company ships all kinds of vehicles using an open transport trailer. What this means is that the vehicles inside are exposed to the weather and traffic grime, which may raise some concerns.
However, even though the vehicles inside are exposed to the elements, open transport car shipping is safe, secure, and remains one of the most popular ways to ship all vehicle types. Approximately 97% (!) of ALL auto transport shipments are done using an open car carrier.
When you’re out on the road, you’re more likely to see open auto transport carriers than ANY other type of transport service. More than 90% of car transport companies in the US use open trailers. One massive benefit of this statistic is that you have way more options when you need someone to pick up your vehicle.
Open auto transporters can also ship more vehicles on one trailer, which helps keep prices low for both the client and the company.
Open Car Hauling is, hands down, THE cheapest way to ship your car!
Open auto shipping is one of the best value for money car shipping services. On average, the cost of open car transport is around 33% LESS than enclosed car transport. However, unlike many other service-type products, the cost of open car shipping is affected by several factors.
These factors include:
- Distance: This is a significant factor when we calculate the cost of open shipping. The price is higher for longer distances, but the cost per mile is lower.
- Vehicle make, model, and year: If your vehicle is of a standard size with no modifications, car shipping rates will be lower.
- Condition of the vehicle: If the carrier can get your car on and off the trailer under its own power the transport company will charge less than for an inoperable vehicle.
- Time of the Year: Auto transport tends to be cheaper during the summer.
- Type of auto transport service: In the auto transport industry, enclosed auto transport generally costs 33% more than using an open carrier.
The benefits of hiring Open Auto Transport carriers
You always have the option of driving your car across the country, but there are several benefits you’ll enjoy if you decide to book auto shipping with CarShipGuru instead:
- Affordability: Open car transport is the industry standard. According to Direct Express Auto Transport research, 97% of United States auto trailer shipments are open air. More open car transport carriers means lower prices.
- Efficiency: An open carrier can transport as many as nine vehicles simultaneously, which saves fuel, time, and lowers the price.
- Flexibility: You can use open auto transport as a way to ship all kinds of vehicles.
- Safety: Your vehicle is safe and secure when you book with a reputable transport company.
- 100% full insurance: Your car is completely covered throughout the journey unless your vehicle is worth more than $100,000, in which case an enclosed carrier is the better car transport option.
When is Open Car Transport not the best choice?
Open transport car shipping is suitable for a wide range of vehicles. However, there are occasions when an open car carrier might not be the best choice for you.
If, for example, you’re the proud owner of a particularly valuable or precious vehicle, you might want to choose enclosed carriers instead.
Enclosed car shipping is an auto transport service designed for exotic, antique, classic, custom, modified, luxury, or high-value vehicles. Cars transported using Enclosed Car carriers are protected on ALL four sides. Unlike Open Car Transport, the Enclosed Car Shipping trailer has a roof and four sides, which provide complete protection from the elements, road, and traffic grime!
The insurance coverage for this type of service is also much higher. If your vehicle is worth more than $100,000, choosing enclosed auto transport rather than an open carrier is likely the best option.
How to prepare for car shipping?
There are several things you can do to ensure your open auto transport experience is a good one. Prepare in the best ways possible, and you’ll minimize the risk of any damage occurring and prevent additional costs.
Here are our top tips and advice on how to prepare your vehicle for shipping.
- 1. Record any existing damage
You know your vehicle better than anyone else. You’re aware of every scratch, dent, and ding it might already have. It’s vital you make a record of all these little blemishes, no matter how small or insignificant you think they might be. Having a record of all pre-existing damage makes it easier for you and the carrier to identify new damage, should it occur during the shipping process.
Start by thoroughly washing your vehicle inside and outside. Make a note of any existing damage, and take clear photographs.
- 2. Remove all personal and after-market items
Auto transport companies are not authorized to ship personal or household items in any vehicles they are shipping. Make sure to remove the following:
- After-market items such as custom car stereos, DVD players, GPS systems, and TVs.
- Fully retract or remove antennas.
- Toll and car park passes.
Although we should point out that some carriers DO make an exception to this rule. Always check before the carrier picks up your car.
- 3. Give your vehicle the once-over
Perform a basic mechanical inspection before the carrier picks up your vehicle for shipping. Your vehicle’s brakes, including the emergency brake, must be fully functioning. The battery must have a full charge. Tires need to be correctly inflated. Top of all vehicle fluids, and make sure the gas tank is not more than one-quarter full.
Why choose Carshipguru for your Open Car Transportation quote?
Here at CarShipGuru, we have access to more than 1000 car transport providers. Tell us what you need, and we’ll find one to suit your requirements and budget. We can provide an instant quote, and if you hire a transporter through us, you pay ONLY if you’re 100% satisfied.
Don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have. Hey, It’s free!